Sunday, January 25, 2009

What I've been doing lately


More eliminating stashing going on here. I had a baggy of about 5 oz of locks from the BFL-Cheviot mules we used to breed. They were dyed a rose color. After about 5 years in my stash, they were feeling kinda stiff from a bit of lanolin leftover in the wool. While looking for something else, I came across a tiny baggie of blueish purple glitz - it was labeled 1/2 oz, and cost me 80 cents. I decided to flick card the locks, and then lay a thin layer of the glitz on them and spin it into the yarn.
I've been working on this on and off for a week - mostly off, thanks to a bunch of books I got for Christmas!

4 comments:

Denise said...

oh la la that color is smashing!

Becky Utecht said...

Very nice job Lisa! Is the Cheviot Mule fleece pretty nice? Did you ever have it micron tested?
I am tempted to get a Cheviot ram lamb next summer.

Somerhill said...

Thanks, Denise. :^) I think that color is Cushings Magenta. I really liked the yarn I made with the rest of it - I had some orangish locks, too, and flick carded locks together, blending it into a color color that was really nice.
Becky, I never had it tested. Its not as fine as BFL for certain, but it does get the silky handle from the BFL. It is fluffier - the loft comes from the Cheviot. I think it would be a good knitting yarn to show off stitches in an aran knit sweater. The yarn has a lot of body to it.

Somerhill said...

Oops - typo. That was supposed to say "coral color".

Lake picnic

 We picked the perfect day for a spring picnic on the lake.  The rains stopped for a bit, sun came out, and it was perfect temp to sit on th...