Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ohio Bred BFL Ewe Award Recipient

This is Paige Lohrey, who applied for and has been awarded the first of what I hope will be many bred BFL ewes in a program developed to increase the number of youth BFL breeders.
I wanted to have the young person close enough to me that I could visit, give advice and help as needed, and attend the show to lend support and cheer.
Paige and her mom came today to pick up Somerhill Serenade, a 6 year old ewe who is bred to Lanark for early March lambs. The past 2 years, Sere has given me twin ewe lambs, and I hope she is planning on doing that next spring for Paige. Part of the award process requires the lambs to be shown at a local fair, and they will be Paige's breeding sheep project in 4-H next year.
If you are interested in developing a similar program for youth in your part of the country, I'd be happy to send you the 2 page application and rules. Or if you are an Ohio youth and would like to apply for 2010, contact me.

4 comments:

Tari said...

Dave had a dream last night that Paige was leading around a ewe named Sara. I hadn't told him that was the nickname of the ewe. Wow! I didn't know Paige was the first. I've got some other 4-Hers in mind near Marietta that show breeding sheep.Gotta love our BFL's.Thanks Chuck and Lisa

Lilac Haven said...

I think its neat that you are doing this.

~paige said...

Heyyy, thats me :)haha! Thanks so much for the ewe, she's so gorgeouse!

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

THAT is a WONDERFUL idea!

I hope I can do that here in Minnesota sometime soon.

Send me the details!

Lake picnic

 We picked the perfect day for a spring picnic on the lake.  The rains stopped for a bit, sun came out, and it was perfect temp to sit on th...