Wednesday, February 10, 2010

'Til the cows come home


And they did. We normally graze them in the back of the farm - about 300 ft higher and a quarter mile farther back off the road from our house. Chuck was going to go up and get them to feed hay while the grass is buried under about 12 inches of snow and deep drifts, but they beat him to it. They came down through the open gates he left after the first snowstorm, so it was a simple matter of moving them into the small paddock in the lee of the sheep barn. That's Lillian, Meatloaf, Loraleigh, and crazy black cow, getting a drink in the creek.

3 comments:

Dustin said...

I have always loved your Highlanders! They are just so cool looking,

Somerhill said...

Don't you just love the way their horns sweep back in a graceful curve? Lillian's horns are beautiful

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

I 'need' some Highlanders. Unfortunately every time I look for some,they are always bred to Angus or Dexter bulls. I guess if I'm paying, "I" want to decide what to breed them too! :)

16 days old

Somerhill Arlo x Rose Arbor Bre kits are 16 days old and heavy as bricks.   See that slender piece of straw in the foreground of the pic?  I...