Friday, June 18, 2010

Fresh Yogurt Cheese

Try this cheese spread on french bread with thinly sliced roast LAMB, onion, and tomatoes. As you eat, dip the sandwich in olive oil flavored with sundried tomatoes and pesto.

1 16-ounce carton plain yogurt*
2 teaspoons finely snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, chervil, rosemary, or parsley) or 1/2 teaspoon ground spice (such as black pepper, white pepper, red pepper, coriander, or chili powder)
Directions
Line a yogurt strainer, sieve, or a small colander with three layers of 100-percent cotton cheesecloth or a clean paper coffee filter. Suspend lined strainer, sieve, or colander over a bowl.
Spoon in yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator. Drain and discard liquid.
Stir herbs or spices into the cheese. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes 3/4 to 1 cup (six to eight 2-tablespoon servings).
*Note: Use a brand of yogurt that contains no gums, gelatin, or fillers. These ingredients may prevent the whey from separating from the curd to make cheese.

1 comment:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

I have wanted to try this for ages! I make my own yogurt.

I have done this with buttermilk and made a great soft cheese. I culture my own buttermilk too.

Thank you for the encouragement. I think I will try this!

Lake picnic

 We picked the perfect day for a spring picnic on the lake.  The rains stopped for a bit, sun came out, and it was perfect temp to sit on th...