Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fun on the farm

I FAMACHA scored and wormed all the BFL lambs for the first time this evening. For the most part, they were 2s, with a few 3s. A couple 4s, which is worrisome, but they seem OK. I gave those a B shot and iron. I may catch them and give them some Dyne tomorrow evening. For the most part, they were quite well behaved, and did not freak out at having their eyes checked or taking their medicine. Just 2 got feisty with me - Rhiannon and ram #774. They are the oldest 2 lambs, and very large. I suppose they think they rule, and I had to disabuse them of that notion. I told Rhiannon that mama Nibbles would not approve of such behavior. :^) Although Miss Nibs is not above "accidently" stepping on my foot if she can get the chance. Why don't they make wormers that taste good? Like clover flavored. Or dandelion.
We're having a few beautiful, cooler days with crisp night in the mid 50s. The sky was gorgeous, bright blue today. Our neighbor Jim came and mowed the 2 hayfields while I was at work today. It smells wonderful! With these sunny, dry, low humidity days, the hay should be ready to round bale on Thursday. NO chance of rain in the forecast, so it should get safely made and tarped, ready to feed this winter on days when the snow is too deep to graze.

No comments:

Lake picnic

 We picked the perfect day for a spring picnic on the lake.  The rains stopped for a bit, sun came out, and it was perfect temp to sit on th...