Wednesday, July 21, 2010

We lost Bob yesterday morning. He was eleven, so getting pretty old for a Great Pyrenees. Chuck said he just seemed a little off the night before - nothing major, but just a little different. We heard him barking about 11 PM, so he was still out guarding then. I saw him lying up on the high spot overlooking the flock in the morning as I left the farm for work. Chuck said he had died with his head up, looking out over the pasture. I'm glad; we knew we were going to have to keep him in this winter, and he'd have hated that. He died on the job, on his own terms, and I'm glad of it.
Rest in Peace Boo-Boo Bear.

7 comments:

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

So sorry about your beautiful friend. How wonderful that he lived his life out doing what he loved right to the very end.
Peace

Tina THE "Nutty Buckeye" said...

My condolences for the loss of your very long lived & dedicated guardian. He now rests in Peace; for he has been called upon to continue his legacy guarding livestock within the pastures of unlimited bounds.

Carol said...

So sorry about losing a very dedicated member of your family.

Dustin said...

I am so sorry to hear this Lisa!

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

it is never easy to loose a canine friend, and protector. Rest well my friend. You will see him again over the Rainbow Bridge!

Jan said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, Lisa! Pyrs are special dogs. I'm glad Bob paased on his own terms.

Denise said...

Just catching up on reading some blogs...so sad to hear about Bob. How touching though that he was doing his job to the very end. I see you have a new addition Penn. It will be interesting to follow a new breed at Somerhill. The little guy has some big shoes to fill!

Lake picnic

 We picked the perfect day for a spring picnic on the lake.  The rains stopped for a bit, sun came out, and it was perfect temp to sit on th...