- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound rabbit meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 cups sliced napa cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add rabbit meat and cook, stirring often, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the rabbit pieces to a plate.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the wok or pot. Add jalapeño (if using), scallion whites, mushrooms and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the mushrooms start to soften, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage, the rabbit and scallion greens; cook, stirring constantly, until the cabbage is slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in basil just before serving.