Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2-4-09 Birth Announcement


Somerhill Mandalay must have just delivered when I went in to feed this AM. One kit was in the nest and sorta cold, but still moving. The rest were in the front of the box and all wet and bloody and sticky. Some were cool, some were still warm and slippery wet. Lots of placentas and a couple small, limp kits. She has 6 live, healthy looking if somewhat cold ones. I cleaned up the mess, put them all in the nest, and covered them up well. When I put my hand down in the fluff, I could feel heat developing, so I decided to let the group warm themselves. I think they are more efficient and its safer than trying to use a hairdryer. There is a red, broken red, chocolate agouti, a tort, a black, and one broken with blackish markings.(these colors are subject to change) I did not want to take any time examining them since they were cold. I'm glad that it appears only two are broken - it gives me more to choose from when I decide which to keep. Mandy got a thorough body rub and a snack, and I congratulated Mr Spots. I've officially named him HH Hastings for pedigrees. :^)

1 comment:

WoolyWorm said...

They are adorable -- in a naked rat sort of way. :) I can't believe you can tell the colors so soon. I was trying to pick out which color was which baby. Post lots of pictures as they grow! Thanks for these.

Lake picnic

 We picked the perfect day for a spring picnic on the lake.  The rains stopped for a bit, sun came out, and it was perfect temp to sit on th...