Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Highlands

We just have the three cows left - a white, Lillian; a dun, LoraLeigh; and the black Angus cross. That is her 4 month old bull calf, the product of an unplanned visit to the neighbor's Hereford bull. Guess we'll owe Carl and Cathy some steaks..... To top it off, she is probably re-bred to the same bull, since she went visiting again a month ago. Her sire, an Angus, was the same way. You could not keep him in a fence - any fence!

Oh well, we LOVE beef.

3 comments:

Dustin said...

I just love the looks of those Highlanders too cool! I dont like cows much myself, well I like to eath them, but if I would want one that would be it!

Somerhill said...

The 2 Highland cows are really, really gentle and calm. The Angus cross - not so much. :^)

Jared Lloyd said...

I pastured a couple of Galloway bull calves for a neighbor... Same story with the fences... The ladies went trolling for Simmental last summer, because the Angus bull I borrowed was shooting blanks. : /

I'd like to run a couple dozen Highland cows someday. They're freakin' cool!

Lake picnic

 We picked the perfect day for a spring picnic on the lake.  The rains stopped for a bit, sun came out, and it was perfect temp to sit on th...